Have you ever had a time in your life where you feel like you cannot seem to keep your head above water? Where the perpetual waves of chaos are beating you down, as you are constantly trying to raise to the surface for air, only to have the waves come crashing down on you over and over again?
That has been the feeling I have had for almost a year now.
I have to keep reminding myself that this is ALL just a season.
I don’t mean SUMMER, FALL, WINTER or SPRING.
A season is a section in time of your life timeline. The different sections can help you to see the big picture of growth in your life. We all have them.
Seasons can be good, bad, ugly or downright beautiful.
I believe that all seasons are beautiful in a way. The best part about seasons are, they will pass.
I believe in my heart of hearts that this crazy and chaotic season in my life is for good. But, sometimes it is hard to see the good in anything when you are overwhelmed and constantly waiting for that “wave” to hit you again.
Between being a mom to 4 energetic kids, homeschooling, starting a large addition on our home with my husband (yes, we are doing it all ourselves), leading the worship ministry at my church and other stressful things happening on a personal level…I’d say that I am a little overwhelmed.
The world tells you to “be strong!”, to “take it like a man!”. But, Jesus tells you differently. He says, “cast all your cares on me”, and “be anxious for nothing.”
Sometimes it’s easier said than done though. You see, I grew up in the church. I grew up knowing all the “christianese” sayings and quips. But when you are “knee-deep” in the trenches of a hard season…sometimes you forget these truths. Sometimes you do try to “be strong” and take things head on.
Problem and Solution
I am a pretty “black and white” person. I believe that for every problem, there is a simple solution. My brain just automatically goes there whenever I am faced with a problem or hard decision. It’s almost a bad thing, because I have realized that not all people operate that way. Many people don’t, actually. Even in hard times, I have become accustomed to just saying, “this issue or problem is easily solved, just do this…”.
Let me just tell ya’ll…that does not always work. A lot of the times. Especially with heart issues. People issues.
I laugh as I write this, because I have just recently run into this issue. I realize that human issues are so much more complicated. So much more “messy”. It sometimes frustrates me because I don’t like the emotional side of things. I don’t like “messy”. Why can’t it just be simple? A problem, that therefore needs a solution. Right?
In this season of my life, I have found that out very obviously. There is sometimes NO solution. No fast and easy way to resolve an issue.
But I believe that each issue that arises in your different seasons of life allow for learning and growth.
I have learned a lot through this hard season. The chaos can be disconcerting, but the chaos is meant to bring you closer to Jesus. closer to His heart.
I want to share what I have been learning this year. The journey that I have been on in this season…
- Homeschool: Each child is different. Each child needs different and sometimes opposite styles of teaching. Learning to be patient is the HARDEST part of homeschool.
- Ministry: Each individual involved has a very different personality, and requires different ways of communicating or resolving conflict.
- Marriage: For each season, there are different stresses on your relationship with your husband. Each issue that comes up needs to be handled a little differently. Making time to be together is essential.
- Home renovation: Literally, everything that can go wrong-WILL. There will always be extra money needed.
- Family relationships: The enemy (the devil) wants to destroy it. Any way he can. Learning to be vigilant that proactive is a must.
- Personal growth: Finding time to be in the Word and to be alone and silent is a MUST. As a busy mom, it is essential to make time alone a priority.
- Hobbies: Some seasons require you to “put away” your dreams. Just for a little while ;).
- Relationships: You can not put exceptions on people. They will always fail your expectations.
- Hard things: Wether it is hard work, hard people or hard times…they WILL make you be a better person. Don’t avoid it. Just do it.
- Worship: Sometimes worship through music is the only thing you can speak. That’s ok.
- Responsibilities: Saying no is good.
- Asking for help: Is good.
So you see, in this chaotic and crazy season of life, I am STILL learning. Actually, I am learning exponentially more than I would have in an easy season of life! It’s not always easy, but it is worth it…IF you allow God to teach you.
I am learning to embrace the journey. To run TO the hard parts.
I know I have so much more to learn, and I know there are even more hard things to come. Life is funny like that.
Embrace the Journey
Wether you are going through a hard season, an easy season, or if you are having a brand new season of adventures that is scary and unknown…embrace it. look for the lessons. Look for the learning. Don’t be doubtful. Trust God that He is letting you go through that season for your own growth.
I pray that you are encouraged to know that you are not alone. You are not the only one having a hard season. I am right there with you! But, it’s good. It’s growing. It may be hard, but it’s only a season. It will pass.
Here are some verses for you:
If you are anxious:
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:6-7
If you are stressed:
If you are in conflict with family or friends:
If you are needing encouragement:
If you are struggling spiritually:
If you are entering a new season or journey: